Monday, October 16, 2006

Sweaty men in feathery masks...

Yesterday I spent most of the day working at the Queensland Multicultural Festival.

Actually, working could be too strong a word because the only work I really did all day was a 20min walk behind a samba school, some capoeira dudes, latin dancers and some Bolivian guys in HUGE feathered head dress for the "Road to Rio" Parade (I was making sure the crowd didn't get in the way). The rest of the time was spent wandering around checking out different performances and hanging out in the volunteer tent in case they needed someone to do something.

Man it was HOT!!!! I mean the festival was great, but the weather was stinkin'. Cloudless skies meant that the sun's searing rays were only hindered by the dust raised by thousands of pairs of feet as they tramped around the parklands. Surprisingly enough, I managed to make it through the day without my skin burning to a crisp like it usually does.


After my shift finished I headed up to the amphetheatre to get a good seat for Lior's set. The band before were called The Bird and just I have to say that they were freakin' A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!

The whole place was pumping with the most sublime beats. If I wasn't so weary I would have been busting a move with the rest of the punters. Instead, I sat on the step and let my toes and head do the dancing for me.


Lior was pretty cool and worth the wait, but he changed guitars a little too often for my liking (pretty much every song). I found it really distracting, but otherwise his performance was great.

After a day of sensory overstimulation I was looked forward to getting home to try and get some sleep before Monday arrived, but before I headed towards the land of nod I went to do a quick check of emails and to see what had been happening in Flickr
ville during my absence.

To my horror, I discovered that the internet wasn't working!!!!!

Once I started to breath normally again and had gone through the rigmarol of off-ing and on-ing everything I possibly could, I remembered that weeks earlier I had received a letter from my provider asking for the new expiry date for the account I pay my bill from... The G-rated version of my next thought was "OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, THEY'VE CUT ME OFF!!!!".

The only thing to do was go to bed and try to sort it out in the morning.

After answering the multitude of voice prompts that stand between you and an actual person I proceeded to wait on hold for about 25mins.

Just when I thought I was about to go insane from the hideously cheery hold muzak, I finally I got through and proceded to try and explain the sad, sad story about no internet, letters and credit card expiry numbers in great detail without sounding like a total la-hooo-zer.

Halfway through my story the guy informs me that my internet has not been cut-off, but there had been a state-wide glitch that caused a temporary outage. PHEW!!!!!!!!!

You'll be pleased to know that I arrived home from work to find that my laptop was again full of electron goodness...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home